Saturday, March 23, 2019

Cashless Sweden Pt. 2

I've posted a few times in the past about the move away from cash in Swedish society. It is harder and harder to spend our kronor these days. The airport and Stockholm city center are still cash-friendly, but it isn't easy to spend money in the archipelago.

This article from the Guardian shows very clearly how efficiently cash has been left behind in favor of digital alternatives, for better or worse.

Cash has been replaced by credit cards, of course, but also Swish, a payment system which links one's bank account, allowing super-simple transfer of sums back and forth. It's become a verb now: to 'swish' someone a few kronor.

Those of us without national ID numbers, though, can't register for Swish. I still havehope there will be some way for us to be part of the Swish system once we start spending more time in Sweden this summer!

I will keep my readers informed on how I get on.

No comments: