Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Melodifestival final 10 are set!

Last night was the second chance show in Örebro. Two acts from each of the previous four shows got to compete one more time for a chance to make it to the final in Stockholm next week.

The winners were Jessica Anderson and Pernilla Wahlgren; two more Swedish-sounding names I couldn't imagine! Both had ballads, nothing memorable.

There's a list of all the finalists with links to videos on the SVT website. The best of the bunch, in my opinion at least, is Timoteij, four women I'd describe as "Dixie Chicks meets the Hootenanny Singers". The main drawback of their performance is that it's in Swedish, and since the rules were changed to allow singing in non-native languages, very few acts have succeeded without English. Anyways, take a look and see what you think:




I'm traveling next week so you may be spared my further analysis of the other acts. However, I'm excited to report that Sooz and I will again be at the Harcourt Arms Saturday night, watching the final live! I think I'll use twitter for updates this time; my link's on the right of the blog.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Awful as usual. Yet you might be comforted to know that most of the acts sing in Swedish for the national process, I assume to gain as many voters as possible from the remotest areas of Sweden, and then translate their song into English for the actual event. I have to say that the English versions are much worse than the original Swedish. If I could join you in the pub I might enjoy it all : )