Thursday, April 23, 2015

A Moose Cam

I've posted about my Dropcam, which is a very simple and efficient web camera. I use it to keep an eye on Ollie here in Texas, and last summer, I used it to spy on wildlife (and visiting neighbors!)

The big flaw with my dropcam is that it isn't made for outdoor use. I have to shelter it under the deck when I'm away, which limits its vision.

I recently read of a new camera, made by Flir, It's a direct competitor to my drop cam, with a few improvements. The biggest thing for me, though, is that it comes with an outdoor housing! I could mount the camera in a much better location to capture wildlife passing by overnight.

Sooz already has the hint this would make me a great present. If all goes well, we'll be capturing moose video in July.

No comments: