Monday, May 31, 2010

Introduction III

I realise it's been 18 months since my last introductory post. A lot has happened since then, so it's time for an update. (Before last week's finale of 'LOST', a two-hour recap show aired to catch up viewers before the big finish. My island doesn't have electromagnetism, time travel, or polar bears, but there has been plenty of entertainment nonetheless!)

In the past year and a half, we have finished our house, so now, when people ask "is it done?" I can answer unequivocally, "yes." (I get asked that a lot, actually. Not sure if it's politeness or an underlying mistrust of my building abilities). The bathroom and the water system were completed in May 2009, and the majority of the snagging items were finished in June.

I had a metal roof installed in October '09, just in time for a harsh winter a few months later. Our house weathered the heavy snows just fine.

My big midsummer/50th birthday was a raging success. The weather was magnificent the whole time, and I was joined by many friends for a great day. In fact, we're doing it again this summer for my 51st, although it will be a much more modest affair; after all, 51 is not nearly as significant a number. (Unless you're Dick Butkus, that is).

We're doing lots of little projects around the house now. A colourful rug, new window shades, a TV set; all of life's luxuries off on a little island in the archipelago.

Grant is off to university in the fall, and I think Sooz, Ollie, and I will be leaving London for the US sometime as well. So there will be big changes afoot. But not just yet.

No comments: